Monday, January 25, 2010

A free alarm clock

I set my alarm this morning for 7AM but at 6 I got a free wake up call: the call to prayer. Muslims are called to prayer 5 times a day by the muezzin. Usually it is too noisy around the house to hear the call well, but I can hear the one at dawn pretty clearly. Curious, I asked Abdallah (our placement manager) for a translation.

For all wondering here are some fast facts about Morocco:
Population: 34mm
Capital: Rabat
Language: Arabic is the official language. French is the language of business, diplomacy, and government. 3 Berber dialects are spoken throughout the country.
Religion: 99% Muslim
Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Chief of State: King Mohammed VI
Head of government: Prime Minister El Fassi
2008 GDP per capita: $4500

After a rainy weekend of settling in, everyone was anxious to go to work this morning. My actual placement is teaching intermediate English to refugees, but it is closed on Mondays so I will spend Mondays at the Children's Hospital. The hospital was well above my expectations. The kids we played with were in pretty high spirits, I'm not quite sure what ailments they all have. There certainly was a language barrier as kids do not start learning French in schools until 2nd grade and my Arabic is limited to about 10 words and phrases at this point.

After a yum lunch (food will have to be a whole other post) we did a mini tour of Rabat. Then it was tea time and shortly after, dinner!

Pictures are in the post after this, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment