Saturday, June 19, 2010

This is Africa!

World Cup fever has taken over the continent and an hour doesn't go by that I don't hear the Shakira theme song. The funny thing is, sometimes I feel further from it than if I were in the States. For instance, last Saturday we were all excited to watch the afternoon games, unfortunately the whole town of Loitoktok had no stima (electricity) from 10am until about 5:30PM. We have a 6:30PM curfew, so that kind of cut that party short. Our curfew is every day so after training we usually go to a bar to watch the 5PM game but I only get to see it until halftime. A lot of people finish the game at home but since we have no electricity in my house, hence no television, I'm usually out of the loop until the next day. We have fun cheering on the African teams (as long as our families cheer for USA!) and listening to Shakira. All in all, life in Kenya is going pretty well. Here are a few things from the week:

Pending Issues
There are only three people (myself included) in my language class and the other two are boys. It is technically supposed to be language and cross-cultural training so the boys have compiled a list of things they want to experience relating to the Maasai tribe during training. My teacher named these "pending issues":
1) Making fire with just sticks (no matches)
2)Take part in a cow blood-drinking ceremony
3)Learn Maasai jewelry beading
4) Build a hut out of cow dung (this is the woman's (i.e. My) job)
5)Survival skills in the bush
I'll be sure to update you all on how each of these turns out.

Language
In order to swear in as volunteers, we have to achieve a mininum of intermediate low proficiency in our language. This basically means you can introduce yourself, greet people, say where you are from, what you do, order at a restaurant, get around on public transportation, and have a basic conversation with someone. On Friday we had our first test and I placed Novice High, which means I just need one more level and we have three more weeks so I was excited about that.

Every day things get a little easier and a little more comfortable. The things you thought you wouldn't be able to get used to, the choo, bucket baths, no lights, really aren't that big of a deal at all. Actually, that's a lie. I don't think I will ever get used to the choo, what is essentially a pit latrine. Usually enclosed in a wood shed, it is simply a hole you squat over (Ayah- I don't know what you would do here!). Not fun. But the other stuff isn't too bad. We are almost halfway though training and though sometimes the days feel like they drag on endlessly, the weeks are flying by. I know I will miss my host family but I am also really ready to integrate into my permanent community.

Last but certainly not least:
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!


Thanks to all who prayed for my niece. Her surgery went well and I hope she will be out of the hospital Monday or Tuesday. God is good!
I am still working on emails. I try to conserve my battery on the computer so I can only do a couple per time I sign online. I'm getting there though. Expect some aerograms :-)
OK, my mama's calling me, WRITE ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment