Wednesday, July 28, 2010

It's so hard to say good-bye

We finished up training in Loitoktok (LTK) about a week and a half ago and I have been meaning to write a post ever since. I will split up my thoughts into two different posts- training and swearing in/site- to save you guys the pain of reading a horrendously long post.

It really was a bit sad to say bye to the LTK, our home for the last two months and our official welcome place to Kenya. I bonded really well with my host family and I will miss my mama's cooking and chatting with my brother and his bomb chapati. My training project also ended quite nicely. Myself and another business volunteer were partnered with a nascent (that's for you Adam) group who wanted to sell eggs. Well, at first they wanted to be a middleman buyer/seller of eggs but there was no money in that. Then they wanted to raise chickens but that was going to take a long time. In the end, they ended up raising funds internally, buying chickens, and getting a few eggs. Sadly, two of the chickens we bought were menopausal, i.e. they were no longer laying eggs, but they were able to "return" them and look for new chickens. At our closing ceremony with our partner groups, our group presented us with traditional Maasai jewlery, which was completely unexpected and greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, my first necklace was too small for my head so they had to exchange it for me (stop laughing Aja!).

A few notes about training for those reading who may be about to embark on this Peace Corps journey themselves... Bring clothes you like. We were told to dress modestly- skirts knee length or below and collared shirts. This, however, does not mean that you have to be dowdy. It's better to bring less clothes but clothes you actually like to wear than to have an assortment but you don't feel like yourself in them. Remember, you are going to be meeting people and working in them for two years- it's worth it to bring a couple of pieces that you just feel great when you put them on.
That ties into the second point: Just because you are in the Peace Corps doesn't mean you have to (insert stereotype here). You can be a girly girl and still be a great Peace Corps Volunteer. Or a gadget guy. Or whatever it is that you identify with. A fellow PCV had a rough day a few weeks back and she went home, did a full face of makeup and sat and watched some mindless American TV for a few minutes, washed it all off and felt tons better. Even though you are here, you are still YOU! There's no typical PCV or PC experience so the things that comfort you at home will probably comfort you here.
Which brings me to my next point: packing. I stressed over packing before I left. First, you only have a little bit of time to prepare (I had one month) and second, you just have no freakin idea what to pack. My suggestion: reach out to a current PCV in your country. If you are coming to Kenya, pack light! You can find just about anything your little heart desires in Nairobi and other parts of the country. I would bring enough toiletries to get you through training and then just buy what you need in country (why did I bring 4 toothbrushes???). If you want to know if something is here, just ask! As far as clothes- quick dry (especially undies) are a worthwhile investment. Stick to dark/earth colors (black, brown, green) because you will get dirty and washing clothes isn't just as simple as throwing things in the machine. Oh and bring an extra empty duffel bag. You will work so hard to pack everything for the next two years and just have it fit in your suitcases, only to get a bundle of papers, manuals, handbooks, and medical supplies from Peace Corps. On the same note- don't bother bringing first aid/medical supplies unless it's prescription or very specific. Peace Corps Medical hooks you up with everything from asprin to pepto bismol to vitamins to hand sanitizer. For all those on the path to PC, I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

Sorry if that was boring for the rest of you but a RPCV helped me pack and it was invaluable. All in all, it was a great two months in the LTK. Other than the DUST! I would walk outside a by the time I reached class, my feet and legs were two different colors. When I washed clothes the water would immediately turn brown when I put my skirts in because of all the dust. And, anytime a car or pikipiki (motorbike) drove by, forget about it. Eat my dust became a literal daily activity. I will miss looking at Mt. Kilimanjaro every day and watching her become covered by clouds. But most of all, I will miss seeing my new Peace Corps family every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment