Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Little Victories

So, I talked to my mom last night and she said she had read yesterday's post and boy I must be p-oed! Looking back over the post, I can see how it could read like that but really the past month and half has been the most fulfilling since I have come to Kenya. Even though the process has been difficult and at times very frustrating, many of the groups I am working with now are motivated. Also, when they see you get tough and they know you are serious, I have found groups tend to be more serious as well.

Case in point, today I had a meeting with a VSLA group and we did our first share purchase. Now, this may not seem like much but it means the group has actually saved something and it has gone from me just explaining an idea to countless groups to an actual project. I could tell they were a bit frustrated because their group is small and they only save 400KSH (about $5) but I'm very excited to see how much they have saved at the end of the year. And, even though the chairlady was 40 minutes late, the group was sure to tell her that she needed to pay her fine as soon as she got there!

Also, I'm adding a picture of one of the businesswomen I have been in good contact with in town. She started out making beaded jewelry in her home and now she has been able to purchase another home and use that one as her office! She also does tailoring and even has made something for a royal member in Libya. I like hanging out in her shop because she gets business and she really wants to improve her life and the lives of her people. She has taught over 500 women in Kenya and Tanzania to do beading as a business. Spotlight!



No comments:

Post a Comment