Monday, November 29, 2010

Camp Day One: Leadership

As I said awhile back, I have been working on a holiday camp for the girls when they are home from school and the preparation for the camp has been the main cause of my lack of posts lately. During their last holiday break I noticed the majority of the time was spent watching Nigerian movies on the couch. While that may be fun for a week or two of decompressing after a term of school, a whole month and the girls just seemed bored. Today was the first day and, of course, it didn't go smoothly but went well nonetheless.

The speaker for today was a woman named Sintalo who I met at the plow competition at the end of October. She is young, Maasai, and a financial advisor for an insurance company so I thought she would be the perfect one to talk to the girls about leadership. She can relate to the girls and what they are going through in their lives right now in ways I just can't. The session was fantastic even though we did start an hour late. For the most part, the girls seemed interested and asked a bunch of questions so smiles :-)

After lunch we started with an activity, The Human Knot, where the girls stand in a circle and grab the hands of two people opposite them and then have to untangle themselves. After that we talked about different leadership styles and they each drew a picture or wrote a poem about a woman leader they admire and why. One drew a picture of me! I have been feeling really homesick the last week so that really helped me remember why I'm here and to keep on pushin'! They are all really shy and speak with a real lack of confidence so I hope I can work with them on speaking up and speaking out.

Now, PCV Clare is here from Eastern to help with tomorrow's activities. Stay tuned!

Pictures coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment