Saturday, November 27, 2010

Pictionary: Transport

Sorry for the delay in writing folks. I've been in and out of site for different meetings and trainings, don't worry I'll catch you all up on it. First, I would like to dedicate this blog post to my mom who is always confused by my Kenyan lexicon and inspired this topic. Also, hello to Brian's mom- thanks for reading!

Transport in Kenya, while improving everyday thanks to China and their money for tarmac roads, is still not really ever a pleasant experience. There are, however, a myriad of options to get from point A to point B.

Matatu:
This picture was taken from the inside of my matatu on Thanksgiving. A matatu is a Nissan van that is supposed to fit 14 people. Matatus are the primary mode of transportation for most Kenyans who are going farther than 20 or 30km. Each town has a matatu stage where all of the vans congregate and vie for the business of travelers headed in their direction. If you are trying to get someplace but you aren't near a stage, just start walking in the direction of your destination and flag one down. There are two seats in the front plus a console seat and the driver's seat, and then 2 rows of 3 seats, and one back row of 4 seats. I don't have to tell you all that 14 is never the number of people in a matatu- unless you are nearing a police checkpoint. One time Frank and I rode back from Kisumu with 23 other people!

Tuk Tuk (Narok): I don't yet have a picture of the Narok version of a tuk tuk but it's a van about half the size of a matatu. These are used to get from my house to town (about 3 km). It costs 20 shillings (about a quarter) per ride and normally they don't pack them tightly because there are so many running back and forth to town. It is, however, very small (think Geo Metro) and takes some maneuvering of the hips to get in and out.

Tuk Tuk (Kisumu):

These are used in Kisumu, the major city in Western Kenya, to get around the city. Technically they hold 3 passengers, but we have fit up to six before. Usually they are open on the sides and the driver sits up front.

Boda Boda:

I really wish I had a picture of myself on the back of one but it's a bit awkward to take. A boda boda is a bicycle that you ride on the back of. They use these a lot in Western and Nyanza, the parts of Kenya close to Uganda. In fact, the term boda boda derives from their original use as a way to get across the border from Kenya to Uganda/ Tanzania. I like this form of transport the best because you get to see a lot of the scenery as you are passing (I have to sit side saddle with my skirt on) but then you start to feel a bit bad as the guy is huffing and puffing your weight, his weight, and the weight of the bike up the hills of Kenya. Other than that, quite a relaxing ride!

Piki piki:


I certainly don't have a picture of myself on one of these because it's strict rule from Peace Corps Kenya that volunteers can't ride motorcycles. In fact, if I'm ever caught on one I will be on the next plane back to America. Kenyans, however, use piki pikis a lot- they are fast becoming a primary mode of transportation especially in the rural areas. Look- it's a family vehicle!

Now, of course, there always the regular forms of transportation- like my two legs. That I use a lot. I also have my own bicycle but after Frank got hit by a truck walking in town, I decided it best to keep my bike excursions off the main road so I don't ride to town. Of course there are private taxis- usually Camry's. There are also shared taxis similar to Ford Taurus wagons if you are only going 20km or so. These should seat 4 total plus the driver but usually there are 4 people in the front, 4 in the back and at least 2 in the boot.

To fully grasp the travel situation here, I'll give a recent example. I went to another PCV, Nadiya's, site in Nyanza to train on village banking last week. To give an idea of distance, Kenya is about 2x the size of Nevada and I was going from the mid-west of the country to the western edge. To get there I...
Took a tuk tuk from my house into town.
Got on the matatu headed west in town.
Switched to another matatu in Kericho (about 3 hours from me)
Got off in Kisumu and took a tuk tuk to the hotel (it's now dark and we aren't supposed to travel after dark)
Stayed the night in the hotel.
Woke up in the morning, met her supervisor and went to two meetings in Kisumu by boda boda (with my 75L hiking back pack on- I thought I was going to tip off the back of the bike!)
Took a boda boda to the Kisumu stage
Got on a matatu to Siaya
Switched to another matatu going to Uranga
Arrived at her site, Uranga, and took a boda boda to her house

Total forms of transportation: 10
Total hours (not including sleeping in Kisumu) :11

More on Nadiya's site later! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I celebrated with other volunteers and we made a great meal but nothing beats home! Miss you all

3 comments:

  1. Thank-you! This was awesome. My daughter is a PCT in Machakos. She will be so impressed that I know the difference between a boda boda and a piki piki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the information on transportation, when I talk to Brian (this is his sister), I sometimes get confused. Now I will know next time I talk to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading guys! Soon to follow is Pictionary: Food

    Your daughter must be an education volunteer, I hope she is enjoying PST!

    @Brian's sister- the vehicle that Brian takes home is actually a little bigger than a matatu but I hope it gives at least some idea as to how he gets around (actually for Brian it's usually on foot- elephants don't like bicycles!)

    ReplyDelete